Friday, August 12, 2011

Girl with The Dragon Tattoo

Every time I go to type the title of this Stieg Larsson novel my mind moves faster than my fingers and I end up typing "Girl with the Dragoo."


"The Girl .." Trilogy by the recently deceased Larsson, including "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," has gotten a lot of media attention. The popular press talk about the novels are what got me interested in picking one up for myself.


At the beginning of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" (I had to retype that. Twice.) I was not pleased with my choice of reading it. It was slow moving and the Swedish nouns had me rereading various paragraphs to get names straight.  There are so many characters introduced at the beginning that it's hard to decipher what is important and what is trivial. I was unsure where the incongruous character developments would take me, and when, if, a plot would be defined.


Around the 100th page things started to get interesting. Very interesting. Not exactly explicitly clear, but enthralling nonetheless.  


By the 200th page, I was officially hooked. The murder mystery that unraveled was mesmerizing and if it weren't for the horror-movie-esque scary scenes I would never have never put it down. (Yes, I'm a wimp who can't be frightened prior to bedtime.) 


Larsson successfully combined mystery, corruption, financial burdens, family drama, political tensions and psychological thrills to make one electrifying novel that will leave you dying to read more.  


I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the trilogy where hopefully the anti-social tattooed prodigy of a main characer, Lisbeth Salander, will solve more mysteries and kick more ass.  


It gets only 4 stars in the Maggie Y critical review due to sporadic yet minimal spurts of boredom.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...