Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco revisited

Cinco de Mayo is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate.  You don't have to have any religious, political, or even ethnic association to celebrate this faux-holiday. Sure, history might say it has something to do with the Independence of Mexico (that's actually probably not accurate at all...let's be honest, I have no idea what the significance of the 5th of May really is) but we as Americans claim it as our own for an excuse to drink "cerveza" and eat quesadillas.

If you're like me, you're going to refer to any beer you consume as "cerveza," even if it is American-made; you are going to give yourself a Spanish name (mine is traditionally Margarita but as most people's tequila drink of choice happens to have the same name, I think I'll go with something different this year. Juanita perhaps?); and you are going to eat more guacamole and tacos than is socially acceptable.  Also, it is an unwritten rule to wear a sombrero. If you don't have a sombrero, you must wear a bright colored shirt or floral dress. If you don't, you're not American. I think I'll wear a bright, floral shirt and my cowgirl hat.  Who says Juanita can't be a Mexican Farm girl?

I look forward to my celebrations this evening, even if all I am celebrating is the fact that we have a celebration in the beginning of May.  Last year, mis amigos y yo had a fiesta al Thirsty Turtle. Due to unfortunate circumstances, Turtle is unavailable for celebrations. I'm not quite sure what we will do after drinking Sangria y Cerveza and eating Tacos y Guac, but let it be known, fiesta we will.



As a consequence for my celebrating I will continue to loathe the sixth of May, as will most of my amigos. Because I could never express the feelings of my favorite holiday (and the hangover that ensues) as eloquently as I did last year, please take a look here and enjoy the flashback to Cinco de Mayo de 2010. I promise you will not regret it. Pass the guac.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...