Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Word of the Day Wednesday

Nordstrom. 
A proper noun; The name of a reputable upscale department store chain selling all of my favorite moderate to high-end merchandise. A divine shopping escape for the avid shopper. 

Clarification: It's Nordstrom. Not "Nordstroms" (That was even hard for me to type.) Please refer to this shopping utopia as it is labeled by the large, perfectly spaced silver capital letters plastered across the front of every chain.  Like all other proper nouns, do not add an 's' unless you are making the word a) plural or b) possessive.  For example, "The best Nordstroms in the country are in New Jersey" is appropriate. As well as, "Nordstrom's lingerie department is phenomenal." If you ask me, "Do you want to go to Nordstroms tonight?" I will cringe and correct you. And my ears will probably bleed too, so just don't 


A newscaster incorrectly reported a story this morning that was set at a Maryland Nordstrom. His slip-up? He called the specific store at which the story took place "Norstroms." ...Dude! You're a NEWSCASTER! You're an educated journalist. You have a TELEPROMPTER! Nothing sets me off like hearing improper speech early in the morning...

You don't add unnecessary letters to other places, so why is this ignorant mistake made so frequently with this favorite shopping locale? I may never know, but at least I can make obnoxious generous efforts to eliminate the ignorance.  

Phew. Glad I got that off my chest. Sorry if I come off as an anal elitist, but I am sort of neurotic. And I appreciate and respect proper speech. And Nordstrom.

Anyone else have a psychotic grammar-related pet peeve or am I totally alone in my neuroticism? 

1 comment:

Emily said...

This post speaks my thought 100%!! Nothing is worse than misspelling, mispronouncing, and not using correct grammar. I got frustrated a few days ago and tweeted this "You're= YOU ARE. Your= possessive adj./pronoun, something belongs to 'you'. THE TWO ARE NOT THE SAME!!!! #grammar #learnit"

You're v Your is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I'm sure I have slipped up at some point or another with this. Being in college and still doing this annoys me! I don't care if it's social media or not- use correct grammar!

Another pet peeve: Tiffanys. I'm wearing my Tiffanys necklace.... oh really? It's a Tiffany and Co. necklace, not Tiffanys and Co!

(end rant) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...