Monday, November 14, 2011

Movie Review Monday - Bridesmaids

I finally got a chance to see what all the hype was about this weekend and rented Bridesmaids.


For months now, I've been dying to see this movie and just never got around to it.  When it first came out, my movie date never wanted to take me to see this "chick flick" and Lord knows I've been too busy as of this semester to set aside time to watch an entire movie. 


Well, this weekend Lauren and I decided to head over to our trustee Redbox and finally rent the movie all of our friends have been raving about since last May. We surrendered our Saturday night to Kristen Wiig and her cohort of female comedians, and in no way do I regret doing so.  


I won't go into a detailed review considering I was probably the last girl on earth to see it...but let me tell you this, it was freaking funny.  Not at all what I expected, either.  I was prepared for a Hangover: Girl Edition, but what I got was much more. The complexities of life-long friendship, female jealousy, and insecurities are all explored, yet still disguised enough by laugh-out-loud moments of vulgar bathroom humor and witty comments so that the men in the audience are equally as entertained.  I loved that a group of brilliant female comedians could mock the ridiculous tendencies women have when it comes to weddings while still giving empowerment to the main character, Annie (Kristen Wiig) who is suffering the loss of her business, her boyfriend, and enduring life living out of shoddy car and more than unfortunate roommates. There is not much action nor adventure, so if you're looking for a thrill... look elsewhere. If you're looking for a good, real, laugh, seek no further. 


Overall, I laughed... a lot. And I highly recommend this movie for anyone looking for a comedy with just a touch of sincerity and spectacular acting. Kristen Wiig is brilliant, Melissa McCarthy is embarrassingly funny, and Maya Rudolph (who usually irks me to no end) perfectly portrayed the soon-to-be-bride fallen victim to the disillusionment that comes with wedding planning.  

"Why can't you be happy for me, and then go home and talk about me behind my back like a normal person?"

^Reality at its best, my friends. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have no fear you are not the last chick to see this! I have yet to see it!

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Ha!! I loved this movie too! I saw it in the theater with a bunch of dudes and I think I lauged more than they did. And I love love love that quote :)
xox

Miranda said...

LOVE this movie! my favorite scene is when they are on the plane! so hilarious!...also love that quote...so true haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...