Tuesday, November 15, 2011

(Inconsequential) Reflections

My coffee was blacker than black this morning and I'm ready for a full week of teaching 6th grade.  I'm not sure why I have a compulsive tendency to brew my coffee entirely too strong. Perhaps for the same reasons I always over scramble my eggs: nerves and overcompensation. 
And for this precise reason, God created the K-Cup

Last night I laid out out the clothes I wanted to wear today. I took the brown pinstripe pants and coral sweater off my chair and got dressed at approximately 6:10.  At 6:53, two minutes before I had to be out the door, I slipped out of my fuzzy slippers and into matching shoes.  The shoes that matched beautifully but to my surprise were too low for the hem of my pants, and I found myself in a fashion dilemma.  With no time to change, I walked out of the apartment with brown pants, black heels, an aura of shame, and discomfort.  

One of my students broke down in tears mid-division-lesson.  Turns out, his tears were the result of a warning he received just moments earlier for talking during class.  My heart ached for his saddened, swollen puppy dog eyes as I offered him my tissue box.  ...And then I remembered that this is sixth grade and, hello, we don't cry over warnings. Fortunately, my Goody Two Shoes student stopped sniffling by recess and all is good again in Room 13.  

Along with appropriate shoes, my planner was left behind this morning.  I felt lost and confused, and a little bit lonely because I had never been away from my agenda for too long.  

At least we are one day closer to Friday.  Hallelujah.  

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh gosh...hopefully Friday comes quickly for ya!

By the way, you won my giveaway! :)

henning love said...

bless your heart for teaching 6th graders!! and go ahead and drink that dark coffee and definitely i love my k-cups too

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...