Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

1. When someone asks you for a book recommendation, what is your go-to book?
Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen was always, always my go-to recommendation ever since I first picked it up two winters ago.  My mom recommended it to me, prefacing it with "It's a little strange, but I think you'll really like it." Hmm...
lo and behold, it was indeed strange, and better than I could have imagined.  Now I find myself prefacing my recommendation the same way my mother did, with a little extra push for all of my friends to read it immediately.  


Water-for-Elephants-Sara-GruenChristoph-Waltz.jpg



However, now that Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon are starring in the film version to come out this weekend(!!!!) it is less likely that friends will be surprised by my suggestion -- I guess I should find a new recommendation. Any suggestions?? 


2.  Do you buy your books, or are you a library patron?
I mostly buy and borrow my books.  I'm considering getting a new library card though. I plan on reading more than my wallet can handle this summer :) 

3.  E-readers, yay or nay?
I don't have one... but I wouldn't be opposed to getting one (my birthday is coming up, hint hint...)

On second thought.. maybe not.  I don't think the convenience of an e-reader can outweigh the sweet smell of a new paperback or the gentle touch of the cool, smooth surface of a hard-cover. 


(You know you're a nerd when thinking about a books texture gets you excited...)


 4.  What was your favorite book as a child?
Goodnight Moon.  My mom must have read it to me a hundred and three times. 
As for books I could read for myself, I really liked the "Dear America" series.  They were written in journal format from the perspective of an adolescent female struggling through a historically significant time period ... although I think originally I chose them for their aesthetic appeal and fun built-in ribbon bookmark more so than the content. I felt regal and scholarly all at the same time when my mom would let me take one home from the Frenchtown bookstore. 

5.  If you could be any character in a book, who would you be?
My first instinct is Scout Finch. She's adventurous, innocently naive, and has the coolest Dad in the world.  


Oh and what about Charlie Bucket?! Sure he struggled for the first decade of his life, but HELLOOO he ends up with ALL the CHOCOLATE he can eat for the REST.OF.HIS.LIFE. Not to mention I could have Grandpa Joe as my imaginative friend and confidant. 
Yes, yes...I think I'd be Charlie Bucket.  

6.  What book would you love to see turned into a movie?
I'm not usually a fan of books-turned-movies.  They typically don't do the story justice, and I always end up feeling bad for the author (but not too bad, I wouldn't mind earning that hefty paycheck either.)  My fingers are crossed that Water for Elephants surprises me!


I detest when publications change the cover of the book to a picture of the movie-stars. Water for Elephants no longer portrays the mystery of an identity-less man entering the unknown of some sort of tent. Instead, if you were to go to Barnes and Noble you would find the book adorned with a sultry picture of Reese Witherspoon in the arms of her hero, Robert Pattinson.  (vom.) 




best_buy_Water_for_Elephants_mass_market_e_book_Kindle_Edition.jpg


7.  What is your all-time favorite book?
To Kill A Mockingbird. 

8.  How many books do you read at once?
Just one.  And I always finish it. I refuse to start a new book before I finish another. 

9.  What is your favorite book genre?
I'm a sucker for fictional drama. My guilty pleasures include Jodie Picoult and Nicholas Sparks. Oh, not to mention the Twilight series. All through middle and high school though, I was very much intrigued by historical fiction, especially Civil-rights fiction. Reason #21 I'm a dork? 

10.  Which Harry Potter book is the best?  Or haven’t you read them at all?
I only read the first one. I never got into Harry Potter -- but maybe I should give it another shot?  After all, an aspiring middle-school English teacher should probably be up on her Hogwarts. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...