Monday, March 7, 2011

Ten on Tuesday - Baby Naming 1.0

1. How did your parents decide on your name?
Easy - My father's mother was named Margaret.  My mother's mother was named Margaret.  I am Margaret by default.  Oh, and my middle name is also my mother's first name.  Original yet sentimental. I love it! 

2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything fun/funny?
The initials "MY" can be confusing when labeling personal items in elementary school - the possessive form of "I" is not limited to Margaret Yelencsics' items.  (i.e. anyone could claim "MY" lunch bag to be their own.)

3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name? (If unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
Can I add my maiden name after my childhood middle name? I would never think of eliminating my middle name given to me by my parents. But then again, I never thought about having to change my last name! I think a happy compromise will have to be solved somehow... 

4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (ie. same first letter, all of same origin…)
Probably not.  I usually find themed baby names more cheesy than cute. 

5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
Of course. Listing my favorite baby names has been my favorite past time since I could spell.  I still plan my baby names.  The list used to change often, but it hasn't recently.  We'll see what I end up with over the next (many) few years! 

6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
Margaret.  I would like to keep the tradition going, but I'm not sure if I want to name my daughter after myself.  Maybe a middle name? I will definitely incorporate my Grandfather's last name when naming my own children as well. 

7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
Both.  For instance, I would never name my son Dick because a) I don't like the thought of calling my son a slang term for his genitals and b) it simply sounds bad. (no offense to the Dicks of the world!!) 

8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?
My fish growing up was named Natalie.  But my childhood Dog was named Keyzer, after a character from the movie "The Usual Suspects."  I think it is hilarious when people name their animals with human names, but I don't think it's actually for me unless it is after a fictitious character.  I will most definitely name my next dog Atticus Finch. 


 9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
Yes, but I won't go there to spare the feelings of anyone possibly reading this blog. 


10. What are some of your favorite names? 
Boys:
Joseph
Matthew
Creighton
Christopher


Girls:
Jessica
Margaret
Sofia (although I have a student with this name currently, and I don't think I will ever be able to use this name for my own daugter.)
LIly 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...