Sunday, February 2, 2014

An Ode to Mustang Sally

Allow me to begin by saying this: I got a new car over Christmas break, and for that I am beyond thrilled. I could not possibly be more grateful. 

However, the new purchase is replacing my very first vehicle.  When I was sixteen I got a 2006 Ford Mustang. It was a cherry red cloth top.  We bought it because my dad said blondes look good in red convertibles...


I adored that car.  My summers were made infinitely better just by cruising down the parkway with the top down.  I measured my days by whether or not they were "top down" appropriate, and my favorite days were driven with the top down with the heat on, wrapping my legs in a warm embrace.  

That car brought me to my first date with Loverboy.
Got me in my first accident (one of the most memorable life lessons I've received.)
Got me to highschool graduation. 
Drove me to college.
Picked up my little sister when she couldn't drive.
Offered me an extra hour in the sun in traffic on the way home from the beach. 

I even learned to pump gas on that car...








And this morning, February 2nd 2014, Groundhog day and Superbowl Sunday, my parents drove off onto I-64 north toward New Jersey in my precious red car.  I think there is a Mustang-shaped hole in my heart. 




On the bright side... it is a cold, rainy Sunday with expected freezing rain and snow over night.  I don't anticipate my parents putting the top down any time soon, and I think I'll get good use out of the four wheel drive of my new SUV.  Her name is Nissan Nina. She's red too.





 

**disclaimer: My dad is keeping Mustang Sally at least for a little while.  So as Loverboy put it, it's like I'm going off to college and I'll see her on breaks :) I can't be totally heart broken just yet...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...